I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors about the next version of Delphi, apparently called “XE2.”
Some of these rumors can be confirmed because they’ve come from people at Embarcadero who we can consider reliable. Others are from less authoritative sources. Here are a few that I’ve heard:
From folks at Embarcadero:
- Delphi XE2 will create apps for Win32, Win64, and Mac OS X from the same source code (source).
- Delphi XE2 will create apps for iOS (iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches) by exporting an XCode project that can be compiled on your mac (using Free Pascal) (source with video).
- Delphi XE2 will do all of this with a new platform called “FireMonkey” (source).
- FireMonkey is vector-based and skinnable, and takes full advantage of the GPU (source)
- Firemonkey is, in fact, the evolution VGScene and DXScene which Embarcadero acquired when they bought KSDev and hired its programmer (source).
- I was talking to someone in an IRC chat a couple weeks ago who attended one of the “World Tour” events, and he said that XE2 will do Android as well as iOS, though I haven’t seen mention of that on any of the official blogs, so I’m considering that to be nothing but unsubstantiated rumor at this point.